La Fête du Citron or Lemon Festival is a fruity family event unique in the world . It is held annually in Menton on the French Riviera where I live. This year is the 85th edition and more than 160.000 visitors are expected over just three weeks.
300 professionals work together on this project which uses 145 tons of citrus fruits and it is the 2nd most important event on the French Riviera after the Nice Carnival even topping the famous Formula 1 in Monaco. Citrus giants of up to 10 metres tall and floats with over 140 tonnes of oranges and lemons parade Menton from 17th February to 4th March. It is a glorious sight to see and well worth a visit. Once the festival is over the lemons and oranges are sold to the locals usually to make jam.
If after visiting the lemon festival or even reading this article you feel inspired by dazzling juicy lemons why not try our Crazy Foxy Kitchen lemon meringue pie.
This recipe uses a 9″ pre baked pie case.
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups water
2 lemons juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons white sugar
9″ baked pie case
Preheat oven to 350° F or 175° C
To make lemon filling:
1) In a medium saucepan whisk together flour, cornflour and salt
2) Stir in water, lemon juice and zest
3) Cook stirring frequently until mixture comes to a boil, then stir in butter
4) Place egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture
5) Whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining sugar mixture, bring to a boil and cook stirring constantly until thick
6) Remove from heat and pour into the baked pastry case
To make meringue:
7) In a large glass bowl whisk egg whites until frothy
8) Add sugar gradually and whisk until stiff peaks form
9) Spread meringue over lemon filling sealing edges at crust
10) Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown and enjoy!